Saturday, November 01, 2008

Wow, its been a while since I have written! We have been having so much fun lately there has been little time for blogging! We spent Halloween at my sister-in-law's house. It was a fun time for all the kids. Mya was especially fun to watch as she figured out trick or treating and carried her bag of loot everywhere. To top off the evening, my nephew convinced his mother to let the kids stay the night with them. She graciously caved to his begging. I hope she got some sleep! I know I appreciated the rest and the quiet morning I woke up to.

Some of the days of the past couple of weeks have been extremely difficult. Lots of saddness and trials. Lots of heartbreaking decisions to make. Lots of sad news. One in particular is a very dear friend of ours who was diagnosed with the same tumor as Jonathan at the same time of his second surgery has reoccured several times. We just found out that he is hospice. This breaks my heart. I don't know where he stands spiritually. I don't know where his wife stands spritually. I know that her heart must be torn in two as this horrible disease is ripping them apart. And of course news like this brings back reality for us. Please pray for them.

Overall though, each day has brought so much joy to my heart. My life is full right now. I am learning how to enjoy it. I am learning to wake up in the morning and thank God for this brand new day. The peace that I feel just looking out my window and being reminded of the greatness of the God I get to serve has been transforming me.

So what have we been up to since my last post:

Jonathan's MRI was stable. Thank God for that news!!!! I wasn't sure that would be the case...he has been so sick and so unstable emotionally. This seems to be improving as well. He has been diagnosed with sleep apnea. After a trip to the ENT doctor, we found that his allergies have improved but his sinuses are a huge mess. No surprise there. He will be having sinus surgery on December 19th. I hate to do this to him again but this is one illness that really messes him up. A simple sinus infection is enough to cause his temp. to drop very low, his speech to slur, and his walking to become very unstable. Right now he is still fighting an infection that he came down with 3 weeks ago. He is on his second antibiotic and a course of steriods and he still sounds awful. I think we will be going to the dr on Monday.

We went to the pumpkin patch for a school fieldtrip. Mamaw came with us. It was alot of fun! Mamaw and Papa were going camping near the patch so we went with our friends to the campground and enjoyed lunch there with Mamaw. Last week Mamaw and Papa came over for dinner and helped us carve pumpkins. It was kind of like a nightmare...all my kids are impatient and eager to use knives so you can just imagine! The end result was great though...and I have some brand new candle holders to show for it.

We have recently discovered, due to my dear friend Gretchen's insistence, ice skating. It has become a new family addiction. We went last week twice. Even Mya and Jon went out on the ice. Jonathan was a little unstable and very nervous but he made it around the rink twice. I was so proud of him. They have an sled hockey team here for people with disabilities. I am going to look into it. At least we know he won't overheat in that sport! My other three kids just took off on the ice. They have all decided that is where they are going to have their birthday parties. Jason declared he will be playing ice hockey. And Josh- well, he wants to be a boy ballerina on the ice...aka figure skating.

Oh, I can't forget- we had our first snow! The kids were so excited to wake up to 1/4 inch of snow on the ground. You know, in Tennessee that is a lot of snow. So of course we were excited. My friends on the north side of the city got 2 inches...I think we moved to the wrong side of town!

We also went on a short hike up in the mountains. It was beautiful. Jonathan was not happy that we brought him along. I am sure we were quite the site...Mya was on my back in the baby wrap and I was assisting Jonathan up the hill. He won't let Shawn hold his hand on these trips. I think he feels safer with me because I am more in tune to his stability. The whole way up and the whole way down he was carrying on... " I hate this.... I hate these stupid steps... I hate this stupid jerk head hike... leave me with someone to watch me next time..." Lesson learned...leave him at home next time! I am just glad the child doesn't know any real curse words or we would be in big trouble.

Well, I better go. I need to get my house cleaned before I pick up the kids. One of my sisters is coming to visit this week. I am very excited to see her. But I think she might like to come to a clean house!!!!!

No comments: